Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Best Pineapple Upside Cake You Will Ever Eat

Yes, you read  that correctly ...... The Best! 
And what's even more amazing about this delectable, finger licking, best Pineapple Upside Cake you'll ever eat, is how it's cooked.  Ready.... Cast iron skillet.... Really.
Most of us know a cast iron skillet for frying, searing and making up a batch of grandma's favorite cornbread.   But did you know cast iron has been around for 2500 years and if you season the pans  properly they can last for generations?



Cast Iron Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake


Ingredients
1 can of pineapple slices
2/3 cup butter
 3/4 cup brown sugar
Yellow Cake mix
1 jar of Maraschino Cherries
1/2 cup to a cup of chopped Pecan pieces* optional

1.  Place pineapples in the butter, sugar and pecan mixture. Put
cherries in the center of the pineapple. Cut the slices of
pineapple into halves and line the sides of the cast iron skillet
with them (standing up on edge).
2. Prepare a box of yellow cake mix following the directions on
the box to mix the batter (do not bake in a separate pan;
follow instructions below).
3. Pour the batter over the pineapple and cherries.

4. Bake at 350°F degrees. When the cake is done, loosen the
edges with a butter knife. Remove from heat and allow to sit
five minutes, then turn it upside down on a serving dish.
 Yes, generations of eating a cake from a skillet that is so moist and delicious that by the time
 you get in line for your piece... it will be all gone!  
Have you ever cooked a cake in a cast iron skillet before?
PS- To read the history and how to "season" your cast iron cookware click here.
Grateful for~
The chance to be able to head to Florida this weekend to be with my sister, Ron and Heather and the rest of my family.



Want Top This Top That delivered directly to your inbox?
It’s easy!  Just enter your e-mail address.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


20 comments:

  1. Yes, I have made a pineapple upside down cake in a cast iron skillet. And thank you for letting me view this first thing in the morning to entice me to jump in with two forks. I am trying to lose weight, missy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good... I'm so gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pineapple upside down cake, and yours is the prettiest cake I've seen. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extra hard workouts mean lots more cake! Looks delish!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks absolutely yumilicious, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What size skillet did you use? Looks great. Gotta try this but I have all sizes of skillets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my husband's favorite desserts, but I rarely make it. Thanks so much for such an easy recipe. I've never made a cake in a cast iron skillet before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so good! We went to a birthday party the other night and this was served for the birthday cake. It was pretty and good. Have fun in Florida!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pure gorgeousness! I love that it's baked in a cast iron skillet!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to cook everything in a cast iron skillet! ;-) Looks delicious... I love pineapple upside down cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, if you say it is the best, then it is....love Pineapple Upside Down Cake...and safe travels to Florida...regards to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing sweet Laura! Love coking in cast iron...just makes it all better! Thanks for sharing this yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynne Houston - www.lifeasamorticianswife.com

    Hi Laura, I'm an avid follower of yours on FB and love your posts. (I think we met at a Blog Conference in Raleigh NC) Thank you for this recipe, we use cast iron for all our cooking. Would never of thought to bake a Cake in it. Love it!! Wondering if...may sound a little weird but - do you think if I added crumbled 'Canadian Bacon it would 'funk it out??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so delicious! I have a question...do you have a glass-topped stove? I'm kind of afraid to use a cast iron skillet on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Danni Baird:
    ????? you bake it in the OVEN, BUT she doesn't tell us how long to bake it?????

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love pineapple upside down cake, but I've never tried it in a cast iron skillet! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cake looks amazing! I cannot wait to try out this recipe. I am slowly switching all of my pans over to cast iron. I do not have a skillet that size yet. Yet another reason for that to be my next purchase. Your photos are beautiful by the way! Visiting from the North End Loft's Friday Finds. ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love cooking in cast iron pots and pans. It gives the food better flavor and bakes cake perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

What's Up!! Thanks for your comment. For those who are not a blogger or on G+, After you type your comment..... click on the drop down box that says "Comment As" and select "Name/URL". There you can enter your full name, or just your first name ... Just put something in there. You can leave the URL box blank. Click continue and then click post comment.